Monday, September 17, 2012

My Wibbly Wobbly Life

Has it really been over two weeks since I posted last?  Where does time go?  I mean, time is just a progression of cause to effect, and...



Oh.  I stand corrected.  Thanks for explaining that, Doctor.  

Anyway, on a serious note, the reason I haven't been posting for the past two weeks is that my grandma passed away on the eighth.  She was eighty-seven, meaning that she was already seventy when I was born, but I was very close to her.  When I would stay at her house as a kid, she would always let me pick out one of those little books with the gold spines, sit on her lap, and read me whatever story I wanted before I went to bed.  The Mickey Mouse versions of The Three Musketeers and The Princess and the Pea were my favorites.  Eventually, when I could read well enough, I would read them to her.  It was a tradition that I loved, and I'll always remember it fondly.  If that doesn't make her awesome enough, she also made the best sausage gravy in the world, I kid you not.  

So, what better way to honor the fantastic person who made me love books than to share with you the books that I've been reading?  

First off is Heiress by Susan May Warren, which I got for the great price of free for my Kindle.  Since I don't want to make a crazily giant wall of text by posting all of these reviews word for word, you can see my review right here.  3/5 stars from me.     

Next up is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time, which earned it five stars.  It's called Hero, Second Class, by Mitchell Bonds, and here's my review. 



"Have at you read this book set in Mitchell Bonds' wonderful, quirky world yet? No? Well, if you're a fan of fantasy, comedy, and adventure, this should be on your "Must-Read" list.

From the second line, this book had me laughing, and it kept it up throughout. This book makes fun of the fantasy genre, it has a lot of puns, and it's just flat out funny. Some parts of this novel even reminded me of Monty Python, only cleaner, which is fantastic.

While the main goal of Hero, Second Class is to make you laugh realize how much of a fantasy geek you are, it also manages to weave a wonderful story with characters that I genuinely cared about. One of our Heroes narrates all his own battles, which was very entertaining. There's also a surprisingly sweet love story mixed in, which I was not expecting. The Villain was truly villainous, violent, and had a wonderful supporting cast of Minions, Toadies, Henchmen, "fishy" accountants (You'll see what I mean if you read it), etc.

This is also a book by a Christian author, and while it's clean, there's not a whole lot of inspirational moments, if any. It didn't handle the Christian element too badly, though, so I can't complain.

There is, however, two complaints I have. There were a few spelling and grammatical errors that, while not terrible, were a bit distracting and could have been fixed by a more thorough proof read. My second complaint is that it ended! I have hope that reading the second book in this series will fix the latter issue."

Thirdly is a book called First Test by Tamora Pierce, which I haven't reviewed yet, and lastly is Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson.  I wrote a short and a little harsh review here.  Sorry, it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Which reminds me, my tea cup is empty.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment