Monday, November 5, 2012

Life of a NaNoWriMo Participant, Day 4



Being a record of the time that Kaylin spent writing for NaNoWriMo on Sunday, November 04, 2012.

 

9:49 AM:  Alright!  I’m ready to start writing for the day.  I’ve got a giant glass of water, a Thomas Bergersen playlist up on Youtube, a timer set for an hour, and very few ideas of what I want to write today.  But you know what?  That’s okay.  I’m a seat-of-my-pants kind of writer, and the words will come when they come.  Maybe.  Of what quality those words will be is a matter of some debate, but as a very wise person once told me: “You cannot edit what you have not written.”  If you’re reading this, Steph, you’re welcome.

10:17 AM:  I’ve made it to 409 words so far today, which is pretty good considering the lack of planning that I did ahead of time.  I admit that my inner editor complains every once in a while, saying: “That’s a fragmented sentence.  That’s the cheesiest dialogue I’ve ever heard.  You really should fix that before you go any farther.”  Sometimes, I just have to tell her to shut up and let my inner author do whatever she wants.  Twelve hundred more words to go to make today’s goal. 

11:36 AM:  Whew!  I finally made it to 6,668, which is just one word past my goal.  Yes, I did the bare minimum, but at least I made it.  I just got done writing a pretty difficult scene that I’m not sure that I will end up using, but it was an interesting exercise regardless.  I listened to all sorts of sad instrumental music to try and give me a better feeling for what was going on, and I hope I did okay.  If I come up with some great idea this evening, I might write a little more. For now, I’m going to go eat lunch and then study my verses for Awana this afternoon.  

7:16 PM: Well, I have pretty much no idea what’s going to happen in my story tomorrow, but I’ll be doing some reading and brainstorming this evening.  Something will come up, likely just as I’m about to fall asleep tonight, and I’ll have some sort of something to write about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment